EDSOC200-20A (HAM)

Education and New Zealand Society

15 Points

Edit Header Content
Division of Education
Te Kura Toi Tangata School of Education

Staff

Edit Staff Content

Convenor(s)

Lecturer(s)

Administrator(s)

: nia.sugiharto@waikato.ac.nz

Placement/WIL Coordinator(s)

Tutor(s)

Student Representative(s)

Lab Technician(s)

Librarian(s)

: alistair.lamb@waikato.ac.nz
: melanie.chivers@waikato.ac.nz

You can contact staff by:

  • Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension.
  • Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
    • For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension.
    • For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension.
    • For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension.
    • For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123.
Edit Staff Content

Paper Description

Edit Paper Description Content

EDSOC200 provides students with an opportunity to critically analyse the social and political dimensions of education with a focus on the intersection of education, policy, and philosophical and sociological perspectives. As indicated by the name of the paper, there is a particular focus on Aoteaora New Zealand.

Edit Paper Description Content

Paper Structure

Edit Paper Structure Content
The paper has a conventional structure of lectures and related tutorials. One lecture week is given over to assessed group presentations.
Edit Paper Structure Content

Learning Outcomes

Edit Learning Outcomes Content

Students who successfully complete the paper should be able to:

  • Have a knowledge and understanding of the educational policies, ideas and processes shaping the educational contexts within which New Zealanders study and teach.
    Linked to the following assessments:
  • Have a knowledge and understanding of some social theories that have informed educational policy and research in New Zealand and the international influences on these.
    Linked to the following assessments:
  • Have a knowledge and understanding of some of the continuing and changing social dynamics and questions concerning equality of opportunity and social justice (abridged, see full version below))

    Have a knowledge and understanding of some of the continuing and changing social dynamics and questions concerning equality of opportunity and social justice which have informed educational movements, policy and research in New Zealand- including those pertaining to rural and urban education, Maori and multicultural education, gender relations, and social class.
    Linked to the following assessments:
Edit Learning Outcomes Content
Edit Learning Outcomes Content

Assessment

Edit Assessments Content

Assessments are as follows

1. Essay (25%)

2. Comparison of education policies (Part A 30% and Part B 5%, total of 35%)

3. Multi-media assignment (Part A 30% and Part B 10%, total of 40%)

The lecturers have office hours and you are welcome to approach the lecturer responsible for an assignment for help but please do not leave it until the week that assignments are due. If you have questions, starting work early enables you to use all of the resources the University has to offer. We will not mark drafts of assignments but we will discuss your ideas regarding an assignment. There is guidance on Moodle, How to write and present essays, to help improve your academic writing and files with other useful tips and Student Learning has several resources designed to support your developing academic skills.

The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 1:0. There is no final exam.

Referencing Style

The predominant method of referencing required in Division of Education papers is that used by the American Psychological Association (APA) see http://www.waikato.ac.nz/library/study/referencing. However, there are several other recognised methods. If you are majoring in History or another Humanities subject, you may be more familiar with one of the footnoting systems often used by historians. In this course, you may use whatever method is customarily used in your ‘home’ discipline. Whatever method is used, you must be consistent.

The main principles to keep in mind are:

  • Does your referencing enable a reader to locate and check your information?
  • Does it give due acknowledgment to the work of others?
  • Is it a fair indication of the amount of reading you have done?

Grading Criteria

Generally, the following criteria will be taken into account in determining grades

  • Evidence of understanding of the main issues
  • Quality of thinking
  • Evidence of reading
  • Quality of writing, including spelling and grammar, citing sources and listing references

For more information see the Assessment Regulations in the University Calendar. Specific marking criteria for assessments tasks and an explanation of how the assessment strategies contribute to measure progress towards achieving the learning outcomes of a paper will be included in individual paper outlines or assignment sheets.

Edit Additional Assessment Information Content

Assessment Components

Edit Assessments Content

The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0. There is no final exam. The final exam makes up 0% of the overall mark.

The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0 or 0:0, whichever is more favourable for the student. The final exam makes up either 0% or 0% of the overall mark.

Component DescriptionDue Date TimePercentage of overall markSubmission MethodCompulsory
1. Essay
6 Apr 2020
4:00 PM
25
  • Hand-in: In Lecture
2. Comparison of education policies Part A
1 May 2020
4:00 PM
30
  • Hand-in: In Lecture
3. Comparison of education policies Part B
1 May 2020
4:00 PM
5
  • Hand-in: In Lecture
4. Multimedia assignment: Part A Presentation
20 May 2020
4:00 PM
30
  • Online: Submit through Moodle
5. Multi-media assignment: Part B Individual Reflection
8 Jun 2020
4:00 PM
10
  • Online: Submit through Moodle
Assessment Total:     100    
Failing to complete a compulsory assessment component of a paper will result in an IC grade
Edit Assessments Content

Required and Recommended Readings

Edit Required Readings Content

Required Readings

Edit Required Readings Content

Selected core readings will be available through the Library's reading lists system. These core readings will not be sufficient to complete assignments to a high standard. You are expected to make extensive use of the University library, including journals. Additional references will be provided in lectures.

Edit Required Readings Content

Recommended Readings

Edit Recommended Readings Content

Thrupp, M. with Lingard, B. Maguire, M. & Hursh, D. (2018). The Search for Better Educational Standards: A Cautionary Tale. Dordrecht: Springer.

Wylie, C. (2012). Vital Connections: Why we need more than self-managing schools. Wellington, NZ: NZCER Press.

Gordon, L. (2015). Rich and poor schools revisited. New Zealand Journal of Educational Studies, 50(1), 7-21.

Kelsey, J. (1997) The New Zealand Experiment, Auckland, NZ: Auckland University Press.

Rashbrooke, M. (2015). Wealth and New Zealand. Wellington, NZ: Bridget Williams Books.

Rashbrooke, M. (Ed.) (2013). Inequality A New Zealand Crisis. Wellington, NZ: Bridget Williams Books.

Carpenter, V., & Osborne, S. (Eds.) (2014) Twelve Thousand Hours: Education & Poverty in Aotearoa, New Zealand. Auckland, NZ: Dunmore Press

Thrupp, M. & Lupton, R. (2006). Taking school contexts more seriously: the social justice challenge. British Journal of Educational Studies, 54(3), 308-328.

Edit Recommended Readings Content

Online Support

Edit Online Support Content

Moodle will be used for this paper including for the submission of some assignments and for extra assignmentssupport. Paper outlines, handouts, lecture PPT's, reading lists etc. will also be available on moodle. Messages via moodle will be sent out periodically from the co-ordinator or lecturers to keep students informed.

If not confident with moodle please see the excellent moodle training available for students http://www.waikato.ac.nz/ict-self-help/teaching-tools/moodle

Edit Online Support Content

Workload

Edit Workload Content
15 point paper, minimum expectation is 150 hours.
Edit Workload Content

Linkages to Other Papers

Edit Linkages Content

Prerequisite(s)

Corequisite(s)

Equivalent(s)

Restriction(s)

Restricted papers: PCSS201

Edit Linkages Content